- Git is what is called a version control system. It allows multiple people to contribute to and write code for the same project, therefore avoiding having to copy and paste work.
- All of Team 4774's software projects are on the GitHub repository here.
- James has written a tutorial on how to install Git on Linux.
- Difference between Git and GitHub: Git is the version control system, while GitHub is the place where the Git repositories are hosted.
- Do not use the online editor on GitHub, make sure you use the command line.
- Make your commit messages descriptive of what you have done in the commit.
- IMPORTANT: Compile and test before you commit!
- Make your commits small and easily testable.
- Always pull before you commit.
- When you are done working, ask
Arthurone of the software leads to pull your work to master.
- The DropBears' Git tutorial: https://github.com/thedropbears/git-tutorial
- A useful page on the most used Git commands: https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html
- Sign up for an account on GitHub: https://github.com/join